Friday, September 10, 2010

Songs and Rhythm of the Day and Week

Dear Butterfly Families,

      During the school day, we sing a lot throughout the morning.  Here are lyrics to many of the songs I sing throughout the day.  I also teach strings, orchestra, and guitar to students in grades 4 to 8.  Rather than keeping my teaching elements separate, I make music teaching part of the meaningful work I bring to the nursery environment (in Waldorf early childhood pedagogy, teachers strive to teach out of imitation and example.  They bring lawful, loving work--such as cooking, cleaning, ironing, sawing, knitting, chopping--that children are free to help with--when it is safe or appropriate.  The idea, however, is that children need not help the teacher knead bread dough or wash dishes to benefit from that work; orderly, present work inspires the children in their imaginative play).  As such, nursery students also will hear me sing from Rise Up Singing and other books.  Last year I gave many impromptu cello, viola, and violin performances for nursery children to dance to.  And 5 8th grade students will visit our class every Tuesday to play guitar and sing songs from Rise Up Singing.  Last year's nursery class really enjoyed these visits and the connection with the oldest students in our school.

This document, the Butterfly Nursery Rhythm of the Day and Week, provides a description of the nursery morning and week. As I observe and become more familiar with your children, it is possible I will adjust the rhythm to meet the unique needs of this group.  My puppet shows can stay quite simple or evolve into longer stories depending on what nourishes the group.  I do not list times of the activities--in nicer weather we will stay outside longer than in the cold months.  That being said, we are outside every day, so please find rain pants and boots that work well for your child.  One parent noted that Lands End had overstock rain pants at a reasonable price.  As a reminder, I provide mittens.

 Children who are staying for lunch will walk with Lynne to the Golden Forest Room (at the end of the hall) and noon for lunch and rest.  They will be outside at pick-up time.

At these times, I risk providing too much or too little information.  Please ask me questions.

Thanks,

William Geoffrey Dolde

No comments: