Saturday, September 11, 2010

Hellos and Goodbyes

Dear Families,

      Thank you for coming to Friday's potluck.  The drizzle cleared to provide beautiful hues of blue over the mountains.  It was sweet to watch the first grade, kindergarten, and nursery children playing together with merriment and confidence and composure.

        I look forward to school on Monday.  About 8 years ago, I had a girl start in my nursery class.  Her mother told me that she thought her daughter would do fine in my class if I made sure to avoid looking at her for the first few weeks--in other programs the caregivers had been too direct, and this child feared teachers.  Playing the part of Medusa or Perseus, I taught class those first few weeks without looking at this wonderful child (like parents, teachers quickly learn ways to know what is happening without having to rely on vision alone).  Two months later this child was chatting fondly and freely with me, and one might never have guessed our relationship began with me having to pretend I didn't see her.  The following year in Baltimore, I had a child who quietly insisted upon sitting on my lap every morning at drop-off.  This ritual continued for two years.  Toward the end, I felt like Thidwick the Moose; not only this girl, but five of her friends would be balanced on a chair with me at the start of the morning; what had begun as a help in the transition had turned turned into humorous gymnastics (that we wall enjoyed; this child was so helpful in so many ways, I never felt burdened by this ritual).

       I've already had conversations with some of you about what comforts your child most.  Some like to be on a teacher's lap right away.  Others prefer a space alone away from apparent observation.  Some might be much more comfortable with Lynne at first.  Others with me.  We may well be surprised.  I write this to ask your patience and flexibility and understanding at drop-off time.  If we do not rush up to a child with a vigorous hello, it is because it is our hunch the child wants a less direct greeting.  Other children may want the opposite.  And the needs or wishes of the children may change.  Please let me know as the days and weeks evolve if you think your child needs more or less interaction from the teachers first thing.

       The children, Lynne, and I have bonded all morning.  When the doors open at 12:20 (or on the playground at 3), this is their chance to reconnect with Mom or Dad.  They don't have to say goodbye to me or Lynne unless the inspiration comes from them.

With warmth and light,

William Geoffrey Dolde

No comments: