Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Friday Potluck and Missing Bear

Dear Families,

     Apologies for the short notice.  It is highly likely we will have a child new to our nursery class join us next Monday--with a good chance of another child starting soon thereafter.  I thought it would be nice if a few or many families could get together this Friday at Maxwelton beach (Dave Mackie park) for a potluck.  Please consider this an invitation, not an obligation--my goal is to foster community, not create stress in lives that are already full, and I know the notice is short.

Details:  Maxwelton Beach, 5-7pm, pot-luck (if everyone brings potatoes again,wonderful), some Rise Up Singing if it manifests, siblings welcome.  If the weather becomes horrible, we can go to my apartment near the beach, 7467B Maxwelton Road.

Missing Bear  My 7 year old helped decorate for last Friday's Autumn Festival and placed a teddy bear dressed like a scarecrow on the counter in my classroom (it was a gift from his grandmother).  When we cleaned up, I could not find the bear.  I wonder if a family inadvertently took it, thinking it belonged to them.  My son would be really appreciative if it could come back.

There has been more and more group play this week, and play that involves groups of boys and girls.  While dogs and cats taking walks still are present, families with babies come to life in the room, as well as a lot cooking of our pretend pumpkins and apples.

Children enjoyed helping me saw wood after clearing a fallen tree from the trail in the woods this morning.  In general, our children show increasing comfort in exploring the short trails near the teepee clearing and in playing imaginative games in the woods.  Last year the trend was similar; by the end of last year, the nursery children seemed to all adore their morning start in the woods. 

I will bring exciting and meaningful work like sawing logs when I can--it is always a balance of bathing the children in lots of experiences of physical work and keeping the day as free as possible of rush and hurry (as some projects can turn into if I try to take on too much with the children).

With warmth and light,

William Geoffrey Dolde

No comments: