Thursday, September 23, 2010

Michaelmas Rehearsals Next Week - substitute

Dear Families,

Next Monday at 11am and next Wednesday at 8:30am, I will be wearing two hats.  I will both be the Butterfly nursery teacher but will also be the strings teacher and director of our school's Michaelmas pageant.  Some years it has worked very well to have my nursery children with my assistant watch me direct a rehearsal; this is a fruitful opportunity for our children to observe me as I engage in the meaningful work of directing.

That being said, the dragon portrayed by the 6th grade (and reports are that this year they have improved and intensified the dragon) might be too much for some of our children.  I have procured a substitute for me during rehearsal time, Carrie Fong, a parent of a 4th and 7th grade and alumnus, who will assist Lynne in guiding the class.  It is possible that Carrie and Lynne will sit with all our nursery children to watch the rehearsal.  It is possible that Lynne or Carrie will stay with one or several children in the classroom for whom the play is overwhelming, while the other watches the rehearsal with other children.

I also invite you as parents to come at 11am on Monday and first thing Wednesday morning to share the experience with your child.  What might be too much in a group situation could be a lovely and positive experience with you.  I feel confident that Lynne and Carrie are both so warm that they provide enough comfort to children whose parents cannot be present.

Because of the rehearsal first thing Wednesday, Wednesday will be an upside down day like they have in kindergarten--we will start inside (for those children who need it) or watching the dress rehearsal.  We will continue baking bread and celebrate the harvest.  We will end our day outside.

With warmth and light,

William Geoffrey Dolde

No comments: