Monday, March 22, 2010

Eurythmy and Soup and Seeds and Sunday Bread

Eurythmy Performance
Tomorrow, Tuesday, our kindergartens and grades classes will walk to Thomas Berry Hall to watch a Eurythmy performance of "The Devil and the Three Golden Hairs."  It starts right away at 9am.  In my experience, the walk and amount of sitting and crowd are too much for the nursery class as a whole.  You may wish to bring your child (come with time to walk) or attend the performance yourself.  If you bring your child with you, we will welcome your child into our nursery group when you return from the performance.

Take Some Soup
On Wednesday, I will jar up and place any leftover soup from our nursery snack on the ledge outside the classroom (where you pick up mittens in the morning).  I will try to make this a regular practice on soup days when there is not a parent & child class or festival later in the week.  If you have jars with lids that you were planning to recycle, feel free to bring them to me for this purpose.  I know some of you miss soup from your parent & child days (or never were in parent & child to enjoy the soup), and this offering seems the right thing to do.  I apologize that there will probably not be 12 extra jars, so I leave it to you to decide what is the right thing to do.

This seems related, but I do not intend it to be.  While some families seem to be bringing many soup vegetables on Monday (thank you), the overall supply of vegetables seems to be lighter this week.  If you have a chance to bring some tomorrow, wonderful.

There are many extra seeds and peat pots from Friday's festival.  Feel free to take one or several home.  I especially encourage you to sprout some to give away to neighbors or relatives or friends.

As you know, I am a proponent of simplicity and consistency with young children.  Our nursery children seem to be drinking up with delight the simple puppet show I have been presenting for the past month of a baker who dreams of dough rising on the roof to see the world, tells the dough she'll help it see the world, and makes Sunday bread with nuts and raisins red to share throughout the village.  Many children have been reenacting this puppet show during play time.  Even as some children become a bit silly during my actually telling, the intensity and reverence with which the children recreate the puppet show themselves grows and grows.  When I was a less experienced teacher, I would have worried and wanted to switch puppet shows or stories, thinking the children were "bored" and I needed to give them variety to engage them so I wouldn't have discipline problems.  Wise mentors told me that it was especially the jumpy children who needed the repetition for at least a month.  My opinion has shifted quite a bit; while "spring fever" does exist and I create order when needed, I find the movement also bristles with the children's bubbling forth of the story within themselves.

With warmth and light,

William Geoffrey Dolde

No comments: