Friday, April 13, 2012

Possibility of Outdoor Starts

Dear Nursery Families,

Welcome back. For several days before our break, some children and I started the mornings outside on the playground. When Kim Dunkley, the Golden Forest teacher, had asked me to help out when a flat tire delayed her assistant, our nursery children had such a rich morning that I continued with this flexible rhythm (some children inside with Lynne, others outside with me) even when my presence was not required--though for their part, the kindergarten teachers appreciated the presence of me and our children: new play mates, new potentials. As we approach the end of our nursery year and look toward new classroom constellations next year, it seems efficacious to harmonize our nursery children with older kindergarten children in a mellow tone.

While this modified rhythm seems to swing, we will continue with these changes and improvisation. At 8:35 or so, I will go outside with some or all of our children, while Lynne stays inside to prepare snack with the help of one or a few (not so different from what happens in classrooms opening right onto the playground). We'll come back inside around 9:20 or 9:30 to gather for snack, indoor play, and a puppet show or story before we all go outside for a walk to the meadow or woods to end our morning.

It is possible our nursery children will begin to miss each other, and after a day or two I will return us to our usual rhythm of all of us commencing the day inside (or if Lynne or I need to be absent, we would all move as a class). It is also possible some of us will join the Golden Forest class on the playground for the rest of this school year. As I've written before, I so appreciate the freedom and responsibility given to Waldorf teachers--we are to observe our children with a keen eye and provide experiences that nourish them; these nourishments take a different form each and every year. Some days I may encourage this or that child to join us outside or inside to foster a variety of cooperative opportunities amongst the children.

For now, you are welcome to bring your child to school in outdoor clothes. It also seems to work for me to help dress early birds. It has also worked for parents who come a little later (remember, there is no such thing as being late to nursery class; our wish is for your morning routine with your child to feel as peaceful as possible for both of you) to greet Lynne, equip their child for the outdoors, and bring their child to the playground to meet me.

With appreciation for your flexibility and support of the class,

William

No comments: