Friday, April 30, 2010

In praise of space

Dear Families,

      Thank you for cleaning out the cubby area.  The sense of calm from the space created reminds me of one of my favorite articles from the Waldorf Early Childhood Association.  I have distributed "Chaos in Everyday Life:  On Cleaning and Caring Before," I know, but I find it inspiring to read it again.  I had the good fortune to hear the author, Linda Thomas, speak in 2004; 500 kindergarten and nursery teachers spent a weekend with intense focus, almost rapture, as she talked about vacuuming and scrubbing toilets.

     As I prepare to speak about Eckhart Tolle and Waldorf education on May 26, I think a lot about the word space, which is an important word or signpost for Tolle.  When we accept the present moment rather than worrying about stories of past or future, our presence helps recognize and create space and spaciousness.  I have already appreciated simplifying my environment and the environment in which young children play (there is such a thing as too many lovely, handmade, natural fiber Waldorf toys), but Tolle inspires me to explore further. 

     There was a spaciousness to the play of the children last week.  They are so comfortable in the woods and on our playground.  I feel a strong connection with them.  Because of this, I feel I can let them spread out a bit.  There was a lot of harmonious play last week with children in groups of 3 or 4; sometimes groups clashed or came into conflict, but the more usual gesture was one of groups of children imagining and exploring and building and role playing without worry or concern what other groups were doing.  They often seemed fully in the present moment rather, free from feat that a more fun game might be going on somewhere else in the woods or playground.



William Geoffrey Dolde

No comments: