Thursday, August 28, 2008

articles to follow up Kim Payne

It was nice to have a conversation about Kim Payne's presentation on discipline when we had our informal work and play morning on Wednesday.  I like to make information available as much as possible.  I don't like to obligate people to read and read, so do not feel you have to read all three links I am making here.  I offer them for those parents who feel so inspired.

1.  Here is a bit of an article by Professor Carol Dweck, the Columbia professor Kim Payne spoke about.  She has studied the effects of different kinds of feedback on child development.

2.  Here is an article on the inverse power of praise by a mom and a journalist that brings together the research of Dweck and others.  Many parents in my classes in Baltimore liked to forward this article to relatives and friends.

3.  Here is part of a workshop I created on discipline.  This article on Making Choices About Choices was inspired by my work with Kim John Payne.  He often uses the metaphor of baskets in his work with classes and schools, but he uses them differently.  This is all to say that any objection you may have with this particular selection is my responsibility.

I look forward to seeing many of you as we work on school-wide projects at Saturday's work party.  I will have a sign-up list for cubby day (Tuesday) available on Saturday.  If you are not coming on Saturday, or if you prefer to reserve a time now, please email or call me to let me know what 15 minute segment between 10 and 11:30am on Tuesday, September 2, is best for you and your child to visit your child's cubby, drop off spare clothes and slippers, and take a quick tour of the classroom.  Because we are having another informal work and play day on Wednesday the 3rd, I do not think it imperative that you come to cubby time on Tuesday if you were not planning to come to school Tuesday for other reasons.  Kim Larson and I will also be in the Butterfly Room on Thursday morning, and I would be most willing to have a parent and child visit on Thursday morning for 15 minutes if that works best.  Please let me know.

Even though nursery families are not obligated to come to the opening day of school ceremony at 8:30am on Tuesday, September 2, you and/or your child may find it interesting.  Teachers will sing a song, the first grade teacher and 8th grade students will welcome the new first grade students, and you will get a sense of the school.  Of added interest for our nursery children is that I will be playing fiddle before (at about 8:20am) and perhaps after the ceremony.  


No comments: