Friday, January 14, 2011

Blessing of Acceptance

Dear Nursery Families,

I had the fortune or misfortune to have my car broken into last weekend and my luggage stolen.  While it was stressful at the time, my window has been repaired, and I find I can live without or replace (with some help from insurance) other items in the car.  The event helped inspire me to listen to the words of Eckhart Tolle a lot and to think about his stories of monks or wise men who accepted tragedy or blessings with equanimity and a sameness of bearing.

In this state of mind, I thought of an article I often distributed to parents called, "The Blessing of Acceptance," from Wendy Mogel's book The Blessings of a Skinned Knee.  Waldorf teacher and lecturer Jack Petrash holds Mogel's book in high esteem, and has read from it at talks I have attended.  Her chapter on acceptance can be really helpful, I find, when things don't work out as perfectly or as smoothly as they might in an ideal sense.  I hope some of you find it helpful when the flow of home or school life encounters rocks and bumps.

Here is the article.

With warmth and light,

William Geoffrey Dolde

No comments: