Monday, January 12, 2009

Articles on questions, guiding the ship of home

Dear Families,

As I have struggled to answer a couple of questions parents have asked in the last few days, I have remembered that articles exist that may provide better answers than I can.

A parent asked me how to respond to a challenging question from her child.  This article on responding to children's questions by Cecil Harwood may or may not help with that particular instance.  Harwood's words, nonetheless, have helped me often as I find myself immersed in a sea of questions.  I have also posted this article outside the classroom.

Other questions came about guiding the ship of home life--when to enforce a limit, when to realize that flexibility is what is needed there.  We are always steering a middle path between polarities.  Here, as a reprise, is a handout I produced about guiding the family ship.  Although it is ostensibly about toddlerhood, many of the principles apply to life with a preschool aged child.  


Here are some thoughts on clarity, structure, and support.  I recommend procuring You Are Your Child's First Teacher by Rahima Baldwin Dancy from our school's Kathrine Dickerson Memorial Library.  The chapter "Rhythm and Discipline in Home Life" provides clear support.

As current parents know, the early childhood teachers have taken on extra responsibilities this year.  The winter is my time to be outside almost every afternoon with kindergarten and first grade children.  While I will be enjoying the mild weather this week, I will not be as easy to reach as I would hope during this new beginning with our four new students.  Email or notes may be the best way to reach me.   Blessings on our months ahead.

With warmth and light,

William Geoffrey Dolde

1 comment:

Unknown said...

William! Kelly mentioned this blog on FB. There is so much information here! Your name is still spoken here and everyone wishes you well.
I especially liked your comments on beyond personal speaking. Could you provide some more information on this or let me know some sources?
Thank you,
Alex Williams